Tuesday, January 6, 2009

new, new adventures. on island.


one of the many, many difficult parts of island living is making a living on the island. you have to be willing to do anything and not be afraid of hard work. and you have to be creative. i have done a lot of very, very random things just to be able to work on the island. there have been times in my life where i have lived on the mainland... portland... and still commuted to the island to work. because i love being here that much. i have done the following in my many years of working on the island: painted boats; pumped gas; cleaned houses for 2 different businesses and then started my own cleaning business; sternman; smack betty for dropping springs lobster co-op; director of recreation center; scallop harvester; metalsmith; metalsmith; jewelry maker; seamstress; caterer; retail and now... i have a new hat to wear... chef. baker. builder of soups. my big sister vicki opened a store, The Niblic at The Chebeague Island Boat Yard this summer and had a very successful start. Now, in the down season, we are experimenting with offering food with the future intention of having a restaurant and I get to be the creator of foods. I am keeping it pretty simple as it is just me, but this is the plan: soups 2 days a week; a take home dinner once a week~ this week is chicken pot pie; baked goods for the mornings and a dessert such as pie or cake at the end of the week. Today was my first day of really cooking. It was crazy, the kitchen is not really a kitchen but I am making do. I made Streusal Blueberry Muffins (will have recipe soon) and Chicken Corn Bacon Chowder and biscuits for tomorrow. delish. I already have 2 orders for Chicken Pot Pie... yes! We will see if i am getting in over my head but i'm pretty stoked about it. I have been missing working on the boat and feeling bored working in the retail space so it will nice to be doing something i love to do. and, miraculously, i have discovered something else to do on island, to keep me rooted here. blurry picture is view from my kitchen. yes!!!

No comments: